Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program, is designed to help students diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) pursue their post-high school educational goals. The scholarship is named for the 79 exons in the dystrophin gene impacted by Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Sarepta knows that the route traveled by every person with Duchenne is distinct and therefore, through this program, we will acknowledge and support twenty individuals with Duchenne who are taking charge and mapping out their future via educational pursuits.
Congratulations to recipients of the 2018 Program!
The 2019 Program will award 20 scholarships of up to $5,000 to each scholarship recipient.
The essay topics this year focus on community. Helen Keller said, "Alone we can do so little, together, we can do so much."
We’re asking applicants to tell us about themselves by selecting one of the following essay questions about community. Please submit an essay of no greater than 1,000 words:
- What does community mean to you?
- When is a time in your life that you saw or experienced the power of a community?
- Tell us about a community that you are part of (either a formal or informal one). What makes it special and/or unique?
Scholarship recipients are chosen by an independent committee of Duchenne community members based on submitted essay and the applicant’s demonstrated level of community involvement. Submissions will be de-identified to support impartiality. Applications will be accepted until April 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT. Recipients will be announced prior to August 2019.
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- have a Duchenne muscular dystrophy diagnosis
- be a high school senior or a college freshman, sophomore, or junior in good academic standing (not on probation per the schools guidelines) who has been accepted to or enrolled into an accredited college or university or a trade, technical, or vocational school located in the United States
- College seniors or college graduates accepted to or enrolled in graduate school are also eligible to apply
- be a legal resident of the United States
- consent to disclose eligibility information with International Scholarship & Tuition Services (ISTS), Sarepta Therapeutics, and the academic institution
- not be a Sarepta employee, consultant or agent, or an immediate family member of an employee, consultant or agent
- Please note: recipients of the 2018 Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship are eligible to apply for the 2019 Scholarship Program. Acceptance into the 2018 Scholarship Program will have no bearing on 2019 applications
- Applications are due by April 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
- Recipients will be announced prior to August 2019
- Awards will be distributed by mid-August, in time for fall 2019 enrollment
The scholarship program is administered by International Scholarship and Tuition Services (ISTS), Inc., a firm that specializes in managing sponsored scholarship programs. This ensures complete impartiality in selection of recipients and to maintain a high level of professionalism.
For additional information regarding the scholarship program contact ISTS or call toll free (855) 670-ISTS (4787). ISTS offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CT.