Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program is designed to help students diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) pursue their post-high school educational goals. There are 79 exons in the dystrophin gene impacted by DMD, and the route traveled by every person with DMD is distinct. Through this program we will acknowledge and support ten individuals with DMD who are taking charge and mapping out their future via educational pursuits. Scholarships of up to $10,000 will be awarded to each scholarship recipient.
Tell us about yourself by selecting one of the following essay questions and submitting an essay of no greater than 1,000 words:
- Define creativity. How are you creative?
- What do you think the world needs to know about you?
- What are 7 – 9 messages you have for others living with Duchenne?
- Who inspires you and why?
Scholarship recipients are chosen by an independent committee of DMD community members based on submitted essay and the applicant’s demonstrated level of community involvement. Submissions will be de-identified to support impartiality. Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT. Recipients will be announced in July 2018.
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- have a Duchenne muscular dystrophy diagnosis
- be a high school senior or a college freshman, sophomore, or junior in good academic standing (not on probation per the schools guidelines) who has been accepted to or enrolled into an accredited college or university or a trade, technical, or vocational school located in the United States
- be a legal resident of the United States
- consent to disclose eligibility information with ISTS (International Scholarship & Tuition Services), Sarepta Therapeutics, and the academic institution
- not be a Sarepta employee, consultant or agent, or an immediate family member of an employee, consultant or agent
- Applications are due by May 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
- Winners will be announced by end of July
- Awards will be distributed by mid-August, in time for fall 2018 enrollment
Click here to create an account and apply online. You'll need to write your essay, fill out some brief personal statements, and obtain a personal reference (from someone who knows you well, such as a teacher, counselor, work supervisor, etc.).
For answers to other program related questions please download our FAQ document.
The scholarship program is administered by International Scholarship and Tuition Services (ISTS), Inc., a firm that specializes in managing sponsored scholarship programs. This ensures complete impartiality in selection of recipients and to maintain a high level of professionalism.
For additional information regarding the scholarship program contact ISTS or call toll free (855) 670-ISTS (4787). ISTS offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CT.